Finding a High Quality Hospice
Questions to Ask
Does the hospice have:
- a team of skilled professionals who can provide medical, spiritual, psychosocial, and bereavement care?
- hospice-trained volunteers to provide companionship and other help?
- access to clinicians 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
- the ability to provide care to patients who reside in their own homes, nursing homes or assisted living facilities?
- a dedicated acute-care inpatient hospice facility?
- a medical director who is a physician skilled in hospice and palliative care?
- close collaboration with patients’ own community physicians?
- the ability to provide care to non-English speaking patients and families?
- professional grief counselors who provide emotional support and community education?
- licensed and specially-trained medical staff with certification in hospice and palliative care?
- accreditation by The Joint Commission and certification by Medicare?
For Montgomery Hospice and Prince George’s Hospice, the answers to all of these questions is YES.
Download PDF flyer: High-Quality Hospice Care: Assessing the Options