Montgomery Hospice and Prince George’s Hospice provides a comprehensive, three-day training session for its volunteers. Highly regarded by national hospice agencies, this training covers topics including the philosophy and values of Montgomery Hospice and Prince George’s Hospice and its interdisciplinary team approach, the role of volunteers, compliance (i.e. HIPAA, Notice of Privacy Practices, and Corporate Compliance Plan), spirituality, ethics, and the policies and procedures for volunteers. Basic instruction totals 24 hours and teaches skills that help volunteers improve the quality of life of patients and families.
Upon completion of the training, areas that volunteers are more informed of include:
- Communication: Actively listening for conversational cues and helping patients find solutions that fit their own values and beliefs
- Understanding Grief: Recognizing and honoring the various ways of coping with loss
- Supporting Caregivers: Being fully present and helpful to those who are closest to the patient
- Confidentiality: Safeguarding the patient’s and the family’s privacy at all times
- Spirituality: Meeting patients where they are, and supporting them as they cope with profound questions about life and death
- Safety: Protecting patients and caregivers from accidents and infections
- Self-Care: Setting boundaries and using suggested techniques to relieve emotional stress
Montgomery Hospice and Prince George’s Hospice encourages its volunteers to continue learning about hospice care after their initial training. Monthly educational and coaching sessions are offered to volunteers to enrich their volunteering experience. Many volunteers say what they learn in hospice enriches their personal and professional lives.
UPCOMING VOLUNTEER TRAINING DATES
Fall 2023 (dates to be determined)
- 3 days
- 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Via Zoom
There are also approximately 8 hours of online training that need to be completed before the first day.